While release of Clear Containers 3.0 beta is just about imminent, I wanted to
make sure that everyone is aware of the major items we have between now and
Clear Containers 3.0 release. We are hoping to make the 3.0 release in early September.
1. Updated externally facing CI: This has been a moving target and source of
a lot of discussion. We have been using SemaphoreCI to date, but there are a
handful of limitations associated with it (it is based on a much older distro
which has hamstrung us). Based on discussions with the team over the last
week, we are going to do a POC with using Jenkins + Azure, and otherwise consider
internal-to-Intel solutions which could be made externally facing. Salvador,
Sebastien Mario and myself have expressed interest in jumping on this, and
we're looking to have a proposal put together early next week.
2. QA Tests at Parity with 2.1 + added testing for new features. I know Gaby
has been very active on this, as well as Salvador. It sounds like this is
still a WIP, but on track.
3. Testing framework (unit test mocking) + increased unit test coverage for runtime.
Thanks James for opening the issues yesterday. There are more than a couple there,
and these issues are critical for completing. Luckily there are enough of
them to share amongst the team!
4. Bringing our 3.0 PnP tests + automation up to parity with 2.1
5. Documentation / release notes. Carlos has added a PR for auto-generation
of a baseline for our release notes, which will help greatly. We still have
more work to do around documenting debug methods, architecture, etc.
6. Bug fixxing (for release blocking bugs).
7 openshift + cri + clear containers e2e testing / documentation
These are the major work items as far as I know, and reflect what I see in our waffle.io:
For bug fixing, I think we should evaluate and scrub through the issue list and
agree whether they should be release blocking or not. There are several issues
open for new features as well, but these should be considered after release and
A couple notes for our !intel contributors:
1. If there are some delay with merging/reviewing your PRs, this current march
towards release is the reason.
2. I plan to setup a weekly forum (perhaps alternating geographies) over the
next week or two where we can do a general bug scrub and status update for
We have a pretty short run way before we're hoping to make our Clear Containers
3.0 release, so I wanted to make sure that we're all on the same page.
There are a lot of exciting features that we'll jump on post-release, but the
list above is what's most important *right now.*
Let me know if you feel I'm missing anything - looking forward to working through
this final push for release!